[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Visual Supports & Beyond Forums • View topic - Prehistoric Autopsy

Prehistoric Autopsy

Because it doesn't all have to be work!
Forum rules
This is a forum for those interested in making creative visual supports for children with ASD. Members will probably be a mixture of professionals and carers. Please respect each other's views, maintain confidentiality and watch your language. Professionals are reminded to respect the confidentiality of the people they support and not to post any client/patient/pupil identifiable information. Carers are free to talk about their own children (foster carers may need to consult the person with parental responsibility), but not those of other people. We are fully aware that caring for an individual with ASD can sometimes be a difficult and challenging experience, however please consider the impact of your posts on other people before hitting that button. Oh and no spam!

Prehistoric Autopsy

Postby Kirk Anderson » Wed 24 Oct, 2012 9:04 pm

I've been watching Prehistoric Autopsy on BBC 2 for the past two nights, and will more than likely watch it again tonight. It's the sort of thing I love, but last night's episode triggered one of those there's an autism link there moments I sometimes have when watching or reading something completely unrelated to autism.

If you watched it, it was the bit about the evolution of the inner ear. If you didn't watch it, it's still on iPlayer here - and the ear bit is about 14.5 minutes in.

They did a little exercise (which I'll probably pinch for my talks) where they got a presenter to try an read a piece of paper that was moving quickly from side to side. He couldn't. He then held the paper still and moved his head quickly from side to side. This time he could read it. Apparently, our sense of balance (vestibular sense) synchronises with our eyes so that we can focus on a target even when we're moving. This ability first evolved in our (amusingly named) ancestors Homo Erectus about 2 million years ago, so that they could track an object while running across the African plains.

This is what got me thinking. What if the vestibular sense is playing up? Does that affect the synchronisation? My guess is that the answer is yes it does sometimes. So what is it like? Again I'm guessing, but the last time my vestibular sense was out of synch with my eyes, it was because I was reading while in the passenger seat of a car, and it made be feel sick. If we think about the function of this synchronisation, it's to allow us to see something clearly, to focus on it, while walking or running. So maybe we have people who struggle to move through their environment safely because they can't see it clearly while moving.

Definitely food for thought, for me it's another little lesson in an unexpected place. Anyway, tonight's episode it about to start.
Kirk Anderson
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic